Serves 2 + leftovers
~2 tablespoons olive oil
~1 small Spanish onion, diced
~2-3 cloves garlic, minced
~8 crimini mushrooms, diced
~1 cup water (optional vegetable broth instead)
~1 cup unsweetened soy milk (or milk of your choosing)
~1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
~1 cup corn couscous
~1-4 tablespoons hot sauce
~1/8 cup cilantro
1) In a medium sized skillet, add olive oil & onions, turning the heat to medium or medium/low. Sprinkle a light layer of salt over the onions, and stir well. Place a top on the skillet, and allow them to cook for 10 minutes, stirring several times to keep the brown colour even.
2) Turn heat up to medium or medium high. Cook onions, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes.
3) Add garlic & a tiny sprinkle of salt, stir well. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
4) Add mushrooms & a hearty pinch of salt. Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
5) Add water & soy milk & a hearty pinch of salt. Bring to a boil.
6) Turn off heat. Add corn couscous & hearty pinch of salt, and quickly stir together well. Immediately place top back on skillet, and allow to sit for 5-15 minutes. If the mixture looks dry you can always stir in more broth or soy milk just make sure the liquid has been brought to a boil first, and a tiny pinch of salt added to it, then stirred into the cooking couscous.
7) After the couscous has steamed remove the lid. Smear a layer of hot sauce on the top of this Corn Paella. If you are sensitive to heat substitute a mild salsa. Sprinkle cilantro on top.
8) Serve fresh!
This was a lovely brunch we had a couple weeks ago. We had nothing in the kitchen, and managed to pull what little we had into this light but satisfying breakfast. When planning your weeks worth of groceries remember onions, garlic, hot sauce/salsa can be added to almost any starchy shelf stable food -starchy could be couscous, rice, rice noodles, corn noodles, pasta, quinoa, etc- and create a really lovely meal or side dish. When you are trying to stay on a budget go for big flavour with but a small price tag:
~hot sauce/ salsa/ hot peppers/ cayenne
~capsicum or bell peppers
~sea salt/ Tamari
Take the above foods, add 1 protein:
~soy products (unsweetened soy milk/tofu/beans/etc)
& 1 starch:
And you have an amazingly flavourful & balanced meal.