These are magical, because two days a week breakfast gets really easy for me. I’ve been trying to be healthy. And well…lets just say all of a sudden starchy or crispy anything and organic ketchup sound like the best things ever. As if ‘organic’ added anything of value to that ketchup…sigh. But I’m trying. And these savoury sweet potato pancakes and …..well …..ketchup -insert palm to forehead moment here- are incredible. Now if you want to skip the ketchup great! These are pretty darn tasty on their own. But also great with any of your favourite condiments that you have laying around. Maybe a lil hot sauce, Sriracha, bbq sauce, honey mustard….ok I’m going to stop trying to tell you what tastes good because right now I’m pretty sure my taste bud compass needs a reset. Especially when it comes to condiment use.
This recipe is going to be in two parts the base and then flour. You keep the two separate until you are ready to make them. If you don’t have one of these ingredients or you are looking for an alternative to what I post let me know as always. If you follow me on Instagram you can comment on the photo that correlates to the recipe. I’m on there all the time posting my latest yummy noms. Follow me to get a heads up on what’s coming next to the site. Scroll to the bottom of this page for the link to my profile. Click on the Instagram symbol and voila, done!
Alright, lets get these pancakes going. Now this is going to be an ‘eye ball it’ kind of recipe. I’m not giving any formal measurements. I don’t post these sorts of recipes often but I think its important/fun to cook like this form time to time. It helps you get comfortable with the smells, textures, and tastes of food. And allow you to look beyond numbers, measurements, and the science behind food. Lets be a lil free ‘n’ artsy today….
Equipment you will need for this recipe:
~High Powered Blender
~Non stick skillet
Prep’d Sweet Potato Pancakes
~2 cups sweet potato, chopped
~Unsweetened soy milk
~1/4 teaspoon sea salt
~1 clove garlic, chopped
~1/2 small onion, diced
~Gluten free, self rising flour
~1 tablespoon baking powder
1) Place the sweet potato into your blender. Cover with unsweetened soy milk. Then add garlic, and sea salt. Blend on high for 1 minute or until smooth.
2) Chop up onions, and add them to the sweet potato in the blender. Blend for 10 seconds. Now if you are cooking these later in the week pour the batter into a glass jar with a tight lid, and store for later. If you are going to make sweet potato pancakes right now move onto the next step.
3) Pour 1/2 the sweet potato batter into a mixing bowl if you want to save some batter for later in the week. If you are eating with someone else pour all the batter into a mixing bowl. Add baking powder and whisk in well. Then slowly add self rising, gluten free, flour blend 1/4 cup at a time until you have a thick batter like consistency. Mix for 2-4 minutes by hand.
4) Heat non stick pan to medium heat for 1-3 minutes – be sure to cook these with a kitchen fan on or windows open so as not to stink up your home. Spray a lil spritz of coconut oil cooking spray onto the pan, then pour 1/4 cups batter into the pan. Allow to cook for 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 1-3 minutes or until golden brown.
5) Repeat step 4 until all your pancakes are cooked. Serve hot ‘n’ fresh with any condiment of your choosing. Enjoy!