Want a dinner that you can make and bake and get ready for the evening? Insert Beet ‘n’ Biscuit Casserole. Now that I think about it I should have called this Beet ‘n’ Dumpling Casserole…but….a lil too late to change the name after I already posted about it. Live and learn.
I prep’d this in about 15 minutes and then baked this in 30 minutes. While this beauty baked I showered and organised my work for the next day – 3am wakeup call anyone? Phew. Yup thats my work life. Crazy hours. So when it comes to dinner and bedtime I have this things down to an art. No late nights during the week. No crazy fussy dinner recipes. Simple. Fast. Filling. Healthy. Done.
Beet ‘n’ Biscuit Casserole
~1 tablespoon olive oil
~1 medium onion, diced
~1 red capsicum/bell pepper, diced
~200 grams shredded cabbage & carrots
~1 cup mushrooms, chopped
~3/4 cup unsweetened soymilk
~1 can chickpeas drained, and rinsed
~1 cup pickled beets, diced
~1 1/2 batches of Easy Pancake batter + 1/2 cup extra self rising, gluten free flour
1) Grab a medium sized pot with a top, and drizzle a lil olive oil in the bottom. Turn the heat to medium.
2) Chop up your onion. Toss it in the pot. Sprinkle a lil salt on top. Mix everything together. Place the top on the pot.
3) Chop up your pepper/capsicum. Toss it in the pot. Sprinkle a lil salt on top. Mix everything together. Place the top on the pot. Allow to cook for 8 minutes.
4) Add the mushrooms, turn the heat up slightly, sprinkle a lil salt, mix well. Allow this to cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
5) Add cabbage & carrots. Sprinkle a lil salt on top. Mix well. Allow to cook for 1 minute.
6) Add unsweetened soy milk, place the top on the pot, turn heat off. Set to the side.
7) Turn oven to 350F or 175C.
8) Grease a medium sized glass baking pan. Add vegetables/soy milk to the pan. Sprinkle chickpeas on top. Then carefully arrange the pickled beets evenly across the top.
9) Make 1 1/2 batches of Easy Pancake batter plus add in 1/2 cup extra self rising, gluten free flour. Pour it over the vegetables/chickpeas/beets, and spread it evenly with a spatula.
10) Place pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until you can insert a knife in the centre of the biscuits and it comes out clean. Serve fresh with a dollop of your favourite creamy condiment & some freshly cracked pepper – this is my favourite creamy condiment for this dish.
As always feel free to reach out to me with feedback or questions via the CONTACT tab at the top of this page. If you want to follow along on my cooking adventures scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the instagram icon.
Much Luv, Laters